Translate

Monday, June 25, 2012

I Needed the Weekend

After the exhausting work week I really needed my weekend break.  I had special plans for this weekend to go and visit one of my long-time friends in the eastern part of the state.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and the drive through the mountains was gorgeous.  I love living in West Virginia and cutting through Maryland on my drive was equally breathtaking. 

I started with pretty leisurely morning and got on the road (with my bottle of wine in tow) around 2pm.  The drive takes about 2 hours or so; my idea (of course not planned in advance) was to download a book onto my iPhone and listen to it in the car to pass the time.  Unfortunately, as is my MO, this did not go according to the (belatedly developed) plan.  My phone didn't have enough (insert technical gobblty gook) to download the book without being hooked up to the computer or connected to WiFi.  I suppose I could have driven the 2 miles back to the house (I stopped at the gas station in town) to hook up to WiFi but I'm lazy and I was already 2 hours behind my self-imposed schedule.  Instead I just fed burned CDs into my car and tried to "surprise" myself with tunes.

We at at my friend's in-law's home...and I had the BEST fried chicken, EVER!  It was so good it could convert a vegetarian.  I also had corn on the cob, watermelon, cantalope and a snickers ice cream bar - I had chosen Saturday to be my "cheat" day.  After dinner we went back to the house, put the kids in the bath and to bed and sat on the front porch for hours, drinking wine and talking.  It was such a nice trip and much needed.  I left the next morning around 11am and headed back home.  The trip home seemed short because I spent the majority of it gossiping with another friend (using hands free mobile) unitl I was about 30 minutes away.  If I haven't mentioned it, I LOVE my hands free feature.

Back at the residence I discovered that James installed solar lights going down our front steps.  This is exciting because our house is on a hill and there are a number of steps, all of which are pitch black in the evening.  He replaced the handrail with something more visible and the addition of the lights makes for safer travel.  Isabel left Sunday evening for a camping trip, so James and I are on our own for the week!  I'm thinking of picking blueberries on Friday or Saturday.  I better get some canning recipes ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment