Translate

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Power Outage

This past weekend, beginning on Friday, we were without power.  There was a big storm in the area along with some small tornadoes that went through the county.  My husband, a lover of storms, took this picture of, what he believes, is a sub-station or transformer being hit by lightening:



You can see the electric blue light in the foreground...it was kind of freaky.  Personally, I am a big scaredy-cat when it comes to storms.  I have been terrified of them since I was little and I've never grown out of it.  I blame it on the Wizard of Oz. 

We spent the entire evening on our front porch (my husband was out there so I knew he would protect me from the big, bad storm) as well as the next two evenings.  It was so f-ing hot and humid, I didn't realize how much I depend on electricity.  We salvaged some of our food but still had to get rid of a decent amount.  We also had to sleep on the living room couch because our upstairs bedroom was unbearable without air conditioning or fans.  Finally, on day two of our adventure we borrowed a generator from my father-in-law.  One hour after we hooked it up the electricity was back on.  All of our neighbors, including us, we outside yelling to each other "It's back on, it's back on". 

Despite the uncomfortable weekend we managed to go pick blueberries at a local blueberry farm.  I got 2 gallons!  They are soooo tasty.  I wanted to can some but I think I'm going to just freeze the excess.  I've been eating on them all week and I'm not sure it would be worth it to can the 1 gallon that is left.

I'm still working on my diet/fitness plan.  I haven't lost any more weight but I am maintaining the loss of 4 pounds.  I'm trying to get back on track to work off a few more.  Spinach salad and blueberries for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment